Feeling a kind of blockage in your throat? Annoyed with frequent mucus spitting? Phlegm is a pretty common issue and can pretty much annoy you if you are at work or doing daily chores. Mucus tends to collect and congest in the throat and chest, and is usually expelled through coughing. Therefore, the presence of mucus usually gets you in a constant need for throat clearing.
Dealing with phlegm can be extremely frustrating and apparently never ending. Here, we have effective, natural home remedies for mucus and congestion that work efficiently and quickly without causing any side effects.
1. White Pepper and Honey
It might sound strange, but yes, every spice has a benefit of its own.
- Grind ½ teaspoon of white pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp. of honey to it.
Heat it for a few seconds and consume it thrice daily, for a week, to keep the extra mucus at bay.
2. Chickpea Powder
This home remedy is used for a lot of reasons. It is good for flu and cold as well.
- Fry 2 tablespoons of chickpea powder in one tablespoon of oil, till it turns light brown.
- Add 30 ounce of water.
- Pinch of powdered almond.
- 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Stir and remove it from the heat once it is mixed properly.
Consume it twice daily, for 4-5 days, to get rid of irritation caused my mucus secretion.
3. Onion juice
Another effective home remedy for mucus and congestion is onion juice.
- Grind an onion and strain the juice.
- Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to the onion juice.
- Add this mixture to one cup of boiling water.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add honey to this blend.
- Make sure you add honey to the juice when it cools down, so that the enzymes present in honey do not denature.
Drink 1 cup of this mixture thrice daily till you feel a soothing throat.
4. Grape Juice and Honey
Grapes are expectorant in nature, and help soothe your lungs and ease down extra mucus secretion.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of grape juice with 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Have this concoction thrice daily for a week.
5. Salt Water Gargle
This is the easiest thing you can do, especially if you have a busy lifestyle.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with the solution.
- Repeat this remedy thrice daily.
- Avoid it getting down your throat.
Gargle 3-4 times a day to avoid the throat and chest uneasiness.
6. Turmeric Milk
Turmeric is an effective and natural antibiotic to cure mucus and congestion. It acts as an antioxidant.
- Add ½ a teaspoon of black pepper and turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and drink it daily.
7. Garlic and Lime
Anti-inflammatory properties of garlic and citric acid in the lime, help clear the mucus.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add the squeeze of 3 lemons to it just after removing it from the flame.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- A pinch of salt.
Mix well and drink it. This is an instant relief from excess mucus secretion.
Carrots are rich in vitamin C and help boost the immune system with its antioxidant properties. It is also crammed with several other vitamins and nutrients that reduce symptoms associated with cough and mucus secretion.
- Extract the juice from 3-4 fresh carrots.
- Add water and 2-3 teaspoons of honey.
- Mix it well and drink thrice daily to clear out the mucus.
This is also good for skin and eyes.
Ginger is a natural decongestant and is used to combat throat and respiratory tract infections for ages. The antibacterial and antiviral properties present in ginger help ease congestion in the chest and throat to help you breathe easily.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger slices to 1 cup of boiled water.
- Steep for a few minutes and then add 2 teaspoons of honey.
Drink this soothing ginger tea several times throughout the day. Moreover, you can also chew raw ginger or just add raw ginger to your dishes.