Alzira Rodriguez is a Dominican fitness model, sponsored athlete and IFBB pro bikini competitor from Santo Domingo. She’s been training since 2011 to develop a strong body – gathering high-profile international attention for her toned “beach-ready” look.
While Alzira has an enviable physique today, she has built this body because she had to. In 2011 she was diagnosed with Scoliosis – a condition which which causes the spine to twist to one side of the back. To treat this, Alzira had to workout to strengthen her back muscles and train everyday to prevent pain.
By 2013, these doctors orders had become her passion. Alzira says she came to love the fitness lifestyle; “admiring the bodies of great athletes and wanting to look like them”. She hired a personal trainer to help her get in the best shape of her life and entered multiple bikini contests – winning 5 by 2015.
Around this time, Alzira also began uploading posts on social media, displaying her new physique and trying to motivate other women to start their fitness journey. She’s attracted a lot of attention through these channels, developing her fan base every day.
|Full Name: Alzira Rodriguez|
|Weight||Height||Year of Birth||Nationality|
|115 – 125lbs (52.2 – 56.7kg)||5’6″ (167.5cm)||1989||Dominican|
|Fitness Model, Sponsored Athlete, Entrepeneur||alzirarodriguez||2010|
|Weight||115 – 125lbs (52.2 – 56.7kg)|
|Year of Birth||1989|
|Profession||Fitness Model, Sponsored Athlete, Entrepeneur|
- 2013 Arnold Classic Amateur Ohio : Bikini Class D 7th
- 2013 NPC Fort Lauderdale Cup : Bikini Overall Champion, Bikini Open Class D 2nd
- 2014 NPC Battle on the beach : Bikini Overall Champio
- 2014 NPC Steve Stone NY Metropolitan Championships: Bikini Overall Champion
- 2014 NPC Pittsburgh Championships: Bikini Class D 6th
- 2014 NPC Jay Cutler Classic: Bikini Class D 1st
- 2014 NPC Atlantic States Championships: Bikini Class E 1st
- 2014 NPC Southern States Championships: Bikini Class D 1st
- 2014 NPC Coastal USA Championships: Bikini Class D 1st
- 2014 NPC Fort Lauderdale Cup : Bikini Overall Champion
- 2015 Tri State Championship Overall Bikini Champion
- 2015 Garden State Championship Overall Bikini Champion
- IFBB Pro Bikini competitor
- Fitness Model
- Sponsored Athlete
- Online coach
Alzira started working out because she has a condition called scoliosis. This condition involves the spine curving to one side in the lower- back, which can cause severe pain, as well as movement issues.
Because of this condition, her doctor insisted that Alzira started to workout at the gym to strengthen her back as much as possible. As Alzira worked out more and more, this daily strength training lifestyle, as well as her improving physique, made her “obsessed” with the gym.
As she developed a fitness modelling and bikini competition career, she worked with her trainer to develop the workout routine below which focuses on maximum reps.
- Leg Extensions – (5 x 15, 15, 12, 12)
- Hack Squats – (5 x 15, 15, 12, 12)
- Leg Press – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 8)
- Narrow Dumbbell Squat – (5 X 15)
- Front Squats – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 8)
- Smith Machine Stationary Lunges – (4 x 10) (Each leg)
- Seated Calves Machine – (4 x 30)
- Standing Calves Machine – (4 x 15)
- Smith Machine Seated Shoulder Press – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- Arnold Press – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- Dumbbell Seated Side Lateral Raise – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- High Rope Pulls – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- Overhead Dumbbell Press – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- Close Grip Bench Press – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- Rope Push Downs – (5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6)
- Wide Grip Pull-ups 5 x 15
- Wide Grip Pull Downs 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
- One End Barbell Row 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
- Wide Grip Standing Pull Downs 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
- One Arm Dumbbell Rows 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
- Weighted Hyperextensions 4 x 15
- EZ Curl Preacher Curl 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
- Standing Barbell Curls 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
- Barbell Curls 21’s x 4
- Leg Curls 6 x 20, 20, 15, 15, 12, 12
- Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift 6 x 20, 20, 15, 15, 12, 12
- Pop Squats x 15
- Alien Squats x 15
- One Leg Lunge Jumps with Back Leg Straight x 15
- Wide High Jumps x 15
- 5 rounds holding a 20 – 30lb Dumbbell
- Seated Calf Raises 4 x 15
- Standing Calf Raises 4 x 30
- Cable Butt Kick Backs 5 x 15 each leg
- 1 minute Deep Squat Holds x 5
- Incline Smith Machine Press 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
- Push Ups 4 x 15
- Decline Dumbbell Press 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
- Wide Grip Dips on Assisted Chin Up Machine 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
- Pullovers 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
- Rest day
- Rest day
In terms of cardiovascular training, Alzira completes a 30 minute high intensity interval training session, either before, or after her weight lifting. She also incorporates a Pilates suit twice a week, which includes an ab- workout too.
“I love HIIT because it’s fun and is also the best way to burn fat faster. I have noticed that it improves athletic capacity and conditioning and also improves glucose metabolism”.
If Alzira had to choose three favorite exercises is would be squats, lunges and pushups. She would choose squats for the “amazing development” she has noticed in her quads, lunges for their glute shaping benefits and push ups as they are a reliable compound exercise for the upper body.
Healthy Eating & Drinking
Alzira loves to eat as healthy as possible, incorporating a Dominican diet of rice, sea food, meat and beans into her bodybuilding diet. She also focuses on hitting her macro-nutrient needs, getting as much healthy fats, carbohydrates and protein as she can.
As well as eating a diet rich in quality produce, she also drinks around 3 liters of water per day. She says that she needs this to stay healthy, and because she sweats a lot she needs to re-hydrate often. An example of her daily meal plan which includes 6 meals is below:
- Meal 1: Egg Whites, Omelette with Vegetables & Oats
- Meal 2: Chicken Breasts, Salad & Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Meal 3: Turkey Breast with Kale & Spinach
- Meal 4: Chicken Breast, Sweet Potato & Green Beans
- Meal 5: 1 Scoop of Whey Protein & an Apple
- Meal 6: Salmon with Asparagus or Grilled Vegetables
Alzira also sees that supplements are crucial in her diet. She says that she needs them to top up her diet with added vitamins, as well as reach her protein needs each day. Her usual stack is below:
- 3 tablets of BCAA’s
- 5 grams of Glutamine
- 1 scoop of Whey Protein
- 3 tablets of Glucosamine
- 1 B12 tablet
- 1 Vitamin C tablet
- 2 Calcium tablets
“I love to train, I love to eat healthy and I enjoy preparing to compete. I do not see it as a sacrifice, in fact I enjoy it when I receive a prize and recognition for something I like to do.”
Idols and Influences
Alzira is motivated by the elite athletes of the fitness industry. She also takes inspiration from her friends and family, saying that she thanks them for their “patience” and hopes they stay with her on her journey.
“I want to thank my family for all the support, patience and all my followers who admire and support me. I also want to thank everyone who takes a moment to leave me a nice message, this gives me more motivation to be better”.
What we can learn from Alzira Rodriguez
Alzira found her passion for fitness and bodybuilding after being diagnosed with a serious condition. Her scoliosis may be a burden on her life, but this didn’t stop Alzira treating this setback as an opportunity to find a new passion.
If you view your next setback as an opportunity to develop, you may benefit from this and find a new path to success.