PRODUCT REVIEW: Cellucor P6 Ripped. Here we have an in-depth Cellucor P6 Ripped review. Branded as a “thermogenic testosterone booster.” It supposedly helps you:
- Ramp up your metabolism
- Increase test levels
These benefits sound promising and a little surprising. After all, It’s not every day that you see a testosterone booster and fat burner marketed as one supplement. All it remains for Cellucor now is to back its talk with quality and effective ingredients.
Pros and Cons
To keep it short, we expected more from a brand as big as Cellucor. Their P6 Ripped is supposed to be a 2-in-1 testosterone booster and fat burner. However, it’s unlikely you’ll lose fat or boost testosterone by using just this supplement alone. It’s quite weak compared to our top-rated fat burners, yet it costs way more than them. See for yourself:
- Vitamin D helps support healthy testosterone levels
- Some ingredients may stimulate your metabolism to work harder
- Most ingredients are hidden in proprietary blends
- Jack of all trades, master of none – a formula that focuses on both testosterone and fat loss, but doesn’t deliver on either of these things
- $84.99 per bottle – costs way higher than the best fat burners out there, making it poor value for money
Who Makes P6 Ripped
P6 Ripped is made by Cellucor. Unless you’ve been in hibernation for the past decade or more, you probably know who they are. Cellucor is one of the biggest fitness & supplement brands out there, specializing in sports and performance supplements. Most of their products are a bit costly compared to other supplements in the same category. The same goes for their Cellucor P6 Ripped. So, the question is, are you just paying the name of this fat burner – or are you actually getting the benefits that will help you reach your goals ?
Benefits of Cellucor P6 Ripped
As we mentioned, Cellucor P6 Ripped aims to help you lose fat by:
- Raising your anabolic hormones, primarily testosterone
- Reducing estrogen, the female sex hormone
- Enhancing your fat loss through thermogenesis
Ingredients of Cellucor P6 Ripped
The ingredients of Cellucor P6 Ripped attack your fat cells in two ways:
- By boosting testosterone
- By increasing your metabolic rate
Everything sounds great at first until you notice that most of these ingredients are inside proprietary blends. If you’re unfamiliar, proprietary blends are formulas with hidden individual ingredient doses. You’re only able to see the total dosage of the blend. While producers say they do this to protect themselves, the real reason why they do this is often to save money and use cheaper ingredients. Obviously, this brings the quality of the product under serious question. Even worse, we can’t assess how safe these proprietary concoctions are. That said, here’s what you’ll find in Cellucor P6 Ripped:
Vitamin D is a very important ingredient for building strength, leaning out, and staying healthy. (1) It’s also the only ingredient in Cellucor P6 Ripped that’s not a part of a proprietary blend. Props to that. What we like about vitamin D the most, is that it can safely and reliably raise your test levels. It’s estimated that about 1 billion people worldwide suffer from vitamin D deficiency. And that’s just deficiency. How many more people have sub-optimal vitamin D levels, no one knows for certain. (2) Now, why is this important, you ask? The answer is in how vitamin D and testosterone are related. When your D levels get low, testosterone goes down too. As a result, you may find it harder to lose weight, pack on muscle, and feel strong. So again, good job here by Cellucor for including vitamin D. The only downside is that it’s slightly underdosed. We feel a dose of 4000IU would be more appropriate for burning fat and elevating your testosterone levels.
Testosterone and Performance Blend
Here’s the first blend in Cellucor P6 Ripped. The goal of this blend is to maximize your body’s natural testosterone production. By doing so, it should give you a slight boost in fat loss. This is because higher test levels lead to more muscle mass, which inevitably raises your basal metabolism – making you burn more calories at rest. Now, this all sounds great in theory. But what can you really expect from these ingredients? Let’s see:
- Ashwagandha KSM-66 – Improves your body’s resistance to stress, makes you stronger in the gym, and keeps your workouts more intense. (3)
- Fenugreek – While this one does increase testosterone, it has to sacrifice DHT (another critical male hormone) in order to achieve this. Therefore, any benefits Fenugreek may offer are offset by its negative effects on your main male hormone. (4)
- Ovine Placenta Powder – This is a dried sheep placenta in powder form. It doesn’t sound appetizing, but apparently, it’s rich in nutrients. Yeah… we suggest steering clear of this one.
- Agaricus Bisporus Fruit Extract – This is essentially an extract of a white button mushroom. It contains certain phytochemicals that are rumored to reduce aromatase, an enzyme that converts male’s precious testosterone to estrogen. Not much evidence to back it up, though.
- Stinging Nettle Root Extract – This is a proven anti-inflammatory ingredient. Aside from being unfriendly to the touch, it’s actually quite a nice ingredient… if you suffer from nasal allergies. As far as your fat loss or testosterone goes, there are better ingredients to go in its place. (5)
Perpetual Energy and Thermo Blend
Now, this is the actual fat-burning blend. Let’s see what it’s got:
- Caffeine Anhydrous – If you’re into stimulants, caffeine is one of the best natural ingredients you can get. What’s more, it helps to boost your metabolism and fat loss. (6) When you take too much caffeine, though, you probably know what happens; crash, anxiety, jitters, and other typical side effects. Take too little, you won’t get any of its benefits. The problem is, we don’t know how much caffeine there is in Cellucor P6 Ripped.
- Coleus Forskohlii – Contains active ingredient Forskolin which can increase your metabolism. Petri dish studies also showed it supports testosterone production. However, there’s a difference between results done in animals or on a petri dish, and results on humans. (7)
- Capsimax Cayenne Pepper – Capsimax is one of the best ingredients you can find in a fat burner. That’s because it increases your body’s metabolic rate, making you burn more calories. It’s a great addition in Cellucor P6 Ripped. The only downside is that we can’t assess the dosage for safety and efficacy. (8)
Let’s disregard proprietary blends for a moment, and just assume that all ingredients in Cellucor P6 Ripped are properly dosed. Even then, this fat burner isn’t as good as we expected it to be. There are only 2 proven fat burners in it – caffeine and cayenne pepper. It’s also missing appetite suppressants. If you experience hunger and food cravings often, then P6 Ripped might leave you hangry. All in all, we feel there are 2 key ingredients missing in Cellucor P6 Ripped:
- Garcinia Cambogia – This ingredient improves your mood, reduces food cravings, and tells your body to use your fat cells for fuel. Pretty cool, right? It’s a shame Cellucor P6 Ripped omitted an ingredient like this. (9)
- Green Tea Extract – Alongside cayenne pepper and caffeine, it’s one of the most potent fat burners out there. It heats your body up, forcing it to cool itself down at the expense of extra calories. Green tea extract essentially makes you burn through your fat stores faster. (10)
How to Take Cellucor P6 Ripped
Here’s how you take Cellucor P6: 2 capsules (one serving), twice per day. Ideally, you’d want to take the first serving early in the day, and the second one in the early afternoon. We emphasize the word “early” here because if you take it too late, you could have problems with insomnia. That’s due to caffeine and other stimulants. Additionally, the label clearly states that you should use Cellucor P6 Ripped in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle (particularly a resistance training program) to get faster and better results. This makes perfect sense. After all, you can’t expect a supplement like Cellucor P6 Ripped to do all the work for you. It may help you speed up your progress, but based on what we saw, it’s not strong enough to cause any changes on its own.
Side Effects of Cellucor P6 Ripped
As we don’t know the ingredient doses in Cellucor P6 Ripped, we can’t assess their safety. Just by looking at the ingredients themselves, there’s nothing risky or shady going on there. Most of the ingredients in Cellucor P6 Ripped already have tons of research about their safety online. The only concerning thing about this supplement is that we don’t know some of its dosages; including caffeine. As you may know, caffeine can make you miserable if you take too much of it. Are you looking for our current top rated fat burners of the year? See them reviewed here .
Cellucor P6 Ripped Reviews
Cellucor is one of the biggest supplements brands out there. So it comes as no surprise that there are plenty of user reviews online. With an average rating of 4.2 stars on GNC, it’s among the higher-rated supplements. Craig H. took this test booster exactly as the label recommends, but he was disappointed with the results. Another user said that they used it for 2 weeks and felt awesome during this time.
Now, this is one of the biggest downsides of Cellucor P6 Ripped. If buying from the official website, you’ll have to pay $84.99 for one bottle of this product. Remember, one bottle lasts you only one month. But if you’re buying it from 3rd party sites, such as GNC, the cost raises to whopping $100 for just one bottle. This is far above even the current best fat burners out there. We feel there’s no excuse to stick such a high price tag on a supplement that’s mediocre at best.
Is Cellucor P6 Ripped Good Value For Money?
No. It’s one of the most expensive – if not the most expensive – fat burners we’ve come across. What’s worse, it doesn’t offer results to justify the price tag. For this kind of money, you can get much much better results. It just takes a little bit of research and you cand find stronger and more reliable options. Buy on Amazon
So what can we conclude from this Cellucor P6 Ripped review? It’s a disappointing product, there’s no other way to describe it. With two proprietary blends inside and plenty of unproven ingredients, you don’t really know what you’re paying for here. For a brand as big as Cellucor, this is slightly embarrassing. Its price is extremely high. Its results – below mediocre. Ultimately, if you’re going to charge your customers this much, you better deliver on your promises. It’s hard to say Cellucor has succeeded in this regard. Now, don’t get us wrong – many of Cellucor’s products are great and we’re big fans of them. But, P6 Ripped is not one of them.
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels in men. (source)
- Review establishes vitamin D deficiency risk factors, prevalence and treatment for individuals worldwide. (source)
- Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial. (source)
- Effects of a purported aromatase and 5α-reductase inhibitor on hormone profiles in college-age men. (source)
- Stinging Nettle. (source)
- The effects of caffeine intake on weight loss: a systematic review and dos-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. (source)
- Coleus Forskohlii. (source)
- Dietary capsaicin and its anti-obesity potency: from mechanism to clinical implications. (source)
- How Garcinia Cambogia Can Help You Lose Weight and Belly Fat. (source)
- Green tea extract thermogenesis-induced weight loss by epigallocatechin gallate inhibition of catechol-O-methyltransferase. (source)